Thursday 11 February 2010

Exclusive - VCP Numbers

I'm proud to be able to be able to share an exclusive set of figures with you, I've just been told how many VCPs there are, and also how many VCP4 holders there already are - and the numbers are much greater than I think most people would expect!

I've been in contact with Jon Hall from VMware over recent weeks, he agreed to share the figures with me, and has just given me the go-ahead to release them here! Thanks Jon!

So, here goes:

  • More than 53,000 individuals hold at least one VCP certification!
  • There are more than 15,000 VCP4 holders worldwide!

The most amazing of the two figures is how many people already hold the VCP4 - it's already over 15,000 and rising! Considering the exam has only been available for less than 6 months I find that incredible - it certainly explains why Pearson Vue testing centres have been so busy!

Update on Feb 16th:
Confirmed with Jon Hall that 53,000 is the number of individuals who hold the VCP, rather than the number of certifications issued.

18 comments:

  1. It's really amazing where virtualization is going. The most we use the most it is usefull.

    I'm glad to be one of those VCP.

    Regards,

    Jean Araujo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the majority of those 15,000 are upgrading from VI3. I have done the same to pass before the deadline at the end of Jan; although I had already done a first teach of the 'whats new' so it wasn't essential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately it takes too long (months) to get the certification kits...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to diminish VMware or virtualization, as the technology is really taking hold. However, given there's a $3,000 incentive to take the test and renew your cert before the end of the year I'm sure that's why the numbers are up! There's a VCP discussion on LINKEDIN where I saw daily people in Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec, and Jan (deadline extended) engineers posting questions or results about completing their VCP befoe the end of the deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm $3000 x 15000 = $45,000,000 !!!

    Not bad... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes but lets see how fast the number of VCP4 grow once the free upgrade offer is off the table...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shawn, according to this there are 41 VDCXs:
    http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=15652&ui=www_cert

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Scott,

    could u pls update this number with latest info,,,??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi SHIVA, I don't have any updated numbers. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, please can you post into my mail box (adekunle.ajayi@dimensiondata.com) the updated version of the VCP4 we have in Nigeria, West Africa. Looking forward to your positive response.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Adekunle, VMware don't publish any regional numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How many VCAPs do we have as of today (both DCA and DCD streams)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not seen any numbers published by VMware.

      Delete
  13. Check this

    http://blogs.vmware.com/education/2013/08/where-in-the-world-are-vcps.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now into 2015, Individuals who hold VCP(s)? I'm guessing no more than 100,000 - 130,000

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been no numbers shared outside of VMware for a while now.

      Delete
    2. I'm guessing a lot less now because VMWare started expiring their certs. I had a VCP3, VCP4 and VCP5... all expired now, and expired at the same time basically, with plenty of buy new training and certs emails. I'm not playing that game. Why would anyone renew their older (previous product version) certs, and why would they not be certified still when the product version is no longer being developed? Those kind of tactics are despicable in my book.

      Delete